Please note :Pictures displayed on the website & catalogue are not to scale. PLEASE NOTE WE CAN NOT ACCEPT PAYMENT BY CREDIT OR DEBT CARD OVER THE INTERNET OR PHONE.
J.W. JEWELLERY & FINE ART AUCTIONEERS LTD T/A JOHN WELDON AUCTIONEERS
Vat number IE 8287922W Property Services Regulatory Authority Licensed number 001760. A summary of general
conditions of business. (A FULL COPY OF ALL TERMS ARE AVAILABLE ON REQUEST):
1. By bidding at the auction, buyers agree to comply with the terms and conditions of the auction.
2. Prior to an auction a prospective buyer must register to bid and give their full name and permanent address and if requested, banking or other suitable references.
3. All statements, whether made verbally or in the catalogue, are statements of opinion only and neither the auctioneers nor its employees or agents will be responsible for the accuracy of any opinion given. Each lot is sold by the seller with any and all errors of description, faults and imperfections.
4. The auctioneer has the right to divide any lot or combine two or more lots, refuse any bid, withdraw any lot from auction or (in the case of dispute) put any lot up for auction again. The auctioneer shall have the right to advance the bidding as he may decide.
5. All lots are being sold under the auctioneers VAT margin scheme unless otherwise specifically referred to by the vendor. Lots not sold under this scheme will be marked with ^ VAT at the current rate may apply.
6. Prospective buyers are strongly urged to examine personally any lot in which they are interested before the commencement of an auction. John Weldon Auctioneers and its representatives shall not be liable for the accuracy of any statements made by them concerning a lot’s age, date, condition, origin, authorship or provenance. Imperfections are not stated. Lots are sold in the condition they are in.
7. A buyer may only bid on his own behalf, unless prior to the auction he has notified John Weldon Auctioneers of his intention to bid on the behalf of a third party, the identity of whom he must disclose to John Weldon Auctioneers. Even if a buyer buys a lot on behalf of a third party, the buyer shall remain personally responsible to John Weldon Auctioneers for that third party’s obligations, including, but not limited to, the payment of the purchase price and removal of the lot following the auction.
8. All purchases shall be subject to a buyer’s premium of 15% of the hammer price plus VAT currently charged at 23%, total fee 18.45%.
9. Payment for all lots must be made in full by means of cash, bank draft, by the bidder’s own cheque or debit cards. We do not accept credit cards over the phone or online. Cheques and bank drafts over €1,000 will have to be cleared by our bank prior to releasing the goods. Cheques and bank drafts under €1,000 are subject to verification. The cardholder must be present when making debit card transactions.
9A. In accordance with the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Acts 2010 & 2013 we wish to inform our customers of the following policy regarding the acceptance of large cash payments: • We are required to obtain identification from customers (prior to carrying out the transaction) where the total amount of money paid by the customer in a single transaction or a series of transactions is €15,000 or greater. • Identification will be required in the form of documentation from a government source e.g. passport, driving licence and this should be verified by a recent utility bill to confirm address. • Records of identification and proof of address obtained from customers will be kept for a period of not less than 5 years commencing on the date of the last transaction with the customer. • We will not proceed with any cash transaction of €15,000 or more where the customer fails to provide identification in the form of a passport or driving licence. • Your cooperation with this policy is greatly appreciated.
10. If purchase price is not paid within 3 days following the auction, the auctioneer reserves the right to offer for sale any and all lots, by public or private sale. The defaulting buyer shall make good any cost or deficit.
11. Pictures displayed on the website & catalogue are not to scale. The buyer authorises us at any time to make use of any photographs or illustrations of the Lot/s purchased by the buyer as required by us.
12. Failure to examine a lot/s by a buyer shall not constitute a cause for cancellation of sale.
13.Historically, many coloured gemstones have been subjected to a variety of treatments designed to enhance their appearance. Certain enhancement methods, such as heating, are routinely used to improve colour or transparency in rubies and sapphires. Other methods, such as oiling, enhance the clarity of emeralds. The international jewellery trade has generally accepted these methods. Other coloured gemstones may have undergone other permanent or semi-permanent treatments, such as dyeing, irradiation, coating and impregnation, possibly requiring further retreatment in order to retain their appearance Prospective purchasers should assume that all gemstones will have been treated unless statements are made to the contrary. Note we don't accept any liability for information on any certificates which come with any of the gemstone or diamond lots. Certificates can vary.
14. We will be pleased to offer Condition Reports to interested clients for lots with estimates of €100 or more. Notwithstanding this reports or any discussion concerning condition of a lot, all lots are offered and sold “As is” as per the conditions of sale printed in the catalogue.
15. Note: When you buy goods at auction, the buyer enters in to a contract with the owner of the goods not the auctioneer. The seller is under no obligation to disclose defects in the property, the buyer should establish what defects, if any, exist before purchasing the goods. The Sales of Goods Act, 1893 provides that: “A sale by auction is complete when the Auctioneer announces its completion by the fall of the hammer, or other customary manner. Until such announcement is made any bidder may retract his bid.” When property is sold by auction a contract comes into being when “the hammer falls” The Auctioneer has authority to sign a memorandum on behalf of both the seller and buyer and the Courts have held that such authority is irrevocable
15A IMPORTANT NOTICES FOR PURCHASERS IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PROSPECTIVE BUYERS OF GEMSTONES/JEWELS Purchasers are advised that whilst great care has been taken in the examination of gemstones, it is not possible to test every gemstone in multi-gemstone lots. Notes 1 – Coloured Gemstones Historically, many coloured gemstones have been subjected to a variety of treatments designed to enhance their appearance. Certain enhancement methods, such as heating, are routinely used to improve colour or transparency in rubies and sapphires. Other methods, such as oiling, enhance the clarity of emeralds. The international jewellery trade has generally accepted these methods. Other coloured gemstones may have undergone other permanent or semipermanent treatments, such as dyeing, irradiation, coating and impregnation, possibly requiring further re-treatment in order to retain their appearance. Prospective purchasers should assume that all gemstones will have been treated unless statements are made to the contrary. Gemmological reports supplied are the opinion of that firm.
15B Note 2 – Diamonds Recent advancements in technology have led to some diamonds being treated in a number of ways, all designed to improve their appearance or alter colour. These processes include fracture filling, laser drilling, a combination of drilling and filling, HPHT, irradiation and various coatings. Buyers are also alerted to the fact that synthetic (laboratory created) diamonds, notably in small (melee) sizes are now produced in large quantities. Whilst every effort is made to identify or disclose treated and synthetic goods, it is not possible for us to guarantee that all diamond set lots do not contain such material. We do not knowingly offer treated diamonds for sale,condition, or completely free from wear or imperfections
16. These terms are subject to change without notice.
John Weldon Auctioneers (“we” or “us”) is committed to preserving the privacy of all visitors to jwa.ie. Please read the following privacy statement to understand how we use and protect the information that you provide to us.
By using this site, you consent to the collection, use and transfer of your information under the terms of this privacy statement.
Information We Collect From You
When you visit, register or order products or services on jwa.ie you may be asked to provide certain information about yourself, such as your name, contact details and credit or debit card information.
We may also collect information about your usage of our website as well as information about you from messages you post to the website and e-mails or letters you send to us.
Use Of Your Information
We use your information to supply you with goods or services ordered by you, to bill you and to contact you about an order. We also analyse information provided by you and others to help us administer, support, and improve our business.
We may use your information to contact you to tell you about important changes or developments to the website or our services, or to obtain your views on our services.
Where you have agreed, we may use your information to let you know about other products and services which might be of interest to you. This contact may be by post, telephone, SMS, fax or e-mail. If you want to stop receiving information about other products and services, you can opt out at any time by contacting us (i) by post at John Weldon Auctioneers, Unit 2 The Music Hall Cows Lane; or (ii) by telephone at +353 1 6351114; or (iii) by email at email@example.com
The information you provide to us will be held on our computers in Ireland. It may also be accessed by third parties, some of whom are located outside the European Economic Area, who act for us for the purposes set out in this privacy statement or for other purposes approved by you. Those parties process information, fulfil and deliver orders, process payments and provide support services on our behalf.
Countries outside the European Economic Area do not always have strong data protection laws. However, we will always take steps to ensure that your information is used by third parties in accordance with this privacy statement.
Disclosure To Other People
We will never sell or rent your details to a third party.
We may occasionally contact you about products and services which we think may be of interest to you. This contact may also be by post, telephone, SMS, fax or e-mail. If you want to stop receiving information about other products and services, you can opt out at any time by contacting us (i )John Weldon Auctioneers, Unit 2 The Music Hall Cows Lane; or (ii) by telephone at +353 1 6351114; or (iii) by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Unless required to do so by law, we will not otherwise share, sell or distribute any of the information you provide to us without your consent.
An IP address is a number that is assigned to your computer automatically when you use the internet. When you visit a particular web page in the jwa.ie website, our servers log your IP address.
We may use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, and to administer our website. Your IP address is also used to help identify you and to gather broad demographic information.
Cookies And Web Beacons
A web beacon is a small file, used in combination with cookies, which is stored on web pages or in emails which monitors the behaviour of the person viewing the web pages or sending the emails.
We employ security measures to protect your information from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage.
We will retain your information for a reasonable period or as long as the law requires.
Changing Your Information
You are entitled to see the information we hold about you. The law entitles us to charge you a fee for doing so of not more that €6.35 per request. If you wish to see this information, please contact us with proof of identification together with a fee of €6.35 by post at John Weldon Auctioneers, Unit 2 The Music Hall Cows Lane
You can also ask us to amend the information we hold about you to ensure that it is accurate and kept up to date. Please contact us with proof of identification to do so you can opt out at any time by contacting us (i)John Weldon Auctioneers, Unit 2 The Music Hall Cows Lane; or (ii) by telephone at +353 1 6351114; or (iii) by email at email@example.com Changes To Our Privacy Statement
Any changes to our privacy statement in the future will be posted to the website and, where appropriate, through e-mail notification.
Join our newsletter
Not on our mailing list?
Just type your e-mail and click to join!